Saturday, May 17, 2008

Long time Gone...

Wow, where has the time gone? It seems like one day just runs into the next, with Mitch's deployment approaching we have been pretty busy trying to get things in order. We still have yet to find out an exact date of when he is leaving, but we are planning for the end of this month. Which in all reality is only about 2 weeks away. I'm not sure if it has hit me yet that he will be gone for 12+ months, I've heard that this is also normal, and it won't really sink in until the day after.

Mitch has been spending lots of time with Maddox, trying to get in all the loving he can before he leaves. Obviously nothing will make up for the time we lose while he is away, but I will do everything in my power to make sure Maddox never forgets his daddy. Mitch and I haven't been fighting as often, which is a major plus, gives up more time to spend enjoying each others company.

I had a pretty "exciting" time getting used to the hospital here on post. I was there for some things which should have only taken about a 1/2 hour but was actually there for about two!! People kept sending me to the wrong place, I bet I visited about 4 different offices before I found the records office! Well, I guess the best way to learn your way around is to get lost, right? Getting around on post is a little easier, I know how to get to all the important places!

Mitch and I have made some great friends! Johnson and Heather (which I will refer to as Heather J. as not to confuse anyone with the famous Heather Barnhart) They got married on the 10th and both Mitch and I were asked to be the best man and maid/matron of honor. It was a beautiful wedding and I am so glad we got to be apart of it. Johnson and Heather J. will no doubt be lifelong friends. They are two of the nicest people we have ever met. It's funny how now, that we are a part of the Army life, it's like we live in two different worlds...
My friends back home will always be important to me and will always be a part of my life but they won't and can't understand certain things I'll be going through. As much as they try, it just won't happen. But, I love them for that... I am overjoyed that I have made some "Army Wife" friends, they will be the ones who can understand not getting that phone call or letter, or how truly hard it is to be away from your spouse.
Mitch isn't going on a business trip, he won't be home in a few weeks. He is not going on vacation, he is going to Iraq. A war zone, where people die everyday. He won't be safe, maybe safer than others, but still not safe. He will miss his son's first birthday, and Christmas and his own birthday... but this is what it takes. Him losing all this is what it takes for us to be free, free to do as we please, to speak our minds, even to bad mouth the troops and the war. "It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to go into battle." That's what Mitch is, a hero... along with every other member of the military.

"A soldier does not fight because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Please, keep Mitch and all the other soldiers in your hearts and prayers.

P.S.
While Mitch is deployed, no one is to show up unannounced, or ring the door bell. That sound strikes fear into every military spouses heart.

No comments: